Monday, June 7, 2010

I don't want to become a drug addict

For several years now, I've been avoiding drinking caffeine. I don't drink coffee, and I prefer decaf herbal tea, and I stick to sodas like root beer and lemon lime. This serves me well on the days (or nights) when I do grab an energy drink (http://www.bawls.com/ Shameless promotion! Be my sponsor!) because the caffeine hits me harder than someone who is used to the stuff. It also means that I can get up and go about my day without needing a cup of coffee, followed by a soda, followed by another soda. Seriously, caffeine is one hell of a drug. My boyfriend gets the shakes when he hasn't had enough Diet Pepsi (Product placement isn't dead!), and my mom can't make it through the day without endless cups of icky black coffee. I have always been glad that I avoid the stuff, in the same way that a vegetarian feels superior for not eating meat.

But then I woke up feeling like I had gotten in a fight with an Autobot in my sleep, and I thought "I'll get something small from Caribou just this once." Not being a coffee drinker, I didn't know what they would have to offer. You know what they have to offer? Campfire lattes. That's right, a latte that tastes like a s'more. I'm a Girl Scout, s'mores are their own food group to me. I got a small and I only drank about half over the course of my 9 hour shift, but I was wired and happy about it. How can you not be happy when you're drinking a s'more?
I know that I have an addictive personality, so I make a concious decision not to stop at Caribou this morning. Unfortunately for my wallet and my health, my friend let me taste her White Chocolate Turtle Frozen Latte. It has crushed Snickers on it, for goodness sake! How can I resist candy drinks? Candy is my favorite thing to eat!
You win, coffee culture. You've finally beaten me down. I'm going to try to limit myself to every other day, just so I don't keel over from pure sugar shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment