Saturday, June 19, 2010

Stunt Boyfriend

Amy is my stunt boyfriend - she is always there to hang out with me when the boyfriend can't. I didn't come up with this term, she and Kerida decided upon it, and I just go with it cause they could beat me up easily if I get too sassy.

One day while driving with Amy, I had my iPod set to play some David Bowie because I was in that kind of mood. After a song and a half, Amy says "I don't really like Davie Bowie, can I switch it?" I figured that it's a shame she's not into Bowie, but I figure we all have our likes and dislikes. She then proceeded to pick tracks by the Beatles, ALL OF WHICH SOUND LIKE BOWIE*. This strikes me as odd. "Amy," said I, "this sounds just like Bowie. Why do you like this and not Bowie?" We then proceeded to have a short pointless argument, which has yet to be resolved.
Cut to today, driving again: Young Americans came on the radio. I blasted it for a bit and sang along, and then lowered the volume again to tell the other passengers about Amy's Illogical Bowiephobia. You know that line in Young Americans, basically the best in the song: "Ain't there one damn song that can make me break down and cry?" I freaking love that line. So powerful. So of course, I had to turn the radio back to 11 and ask Amy at the top of my lungs: Ain't there?

She gave me the finger.






*The Beatles are the be all and end all of music. If I say this particular album sounds like Bowie, what I really mean is that the style and sound is similar to that of Mr. Bowie, and that the Beatles came first and made it possible for Bowie to be Bowie.

No comments:

Post a Comment